Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Today I was unfaithful...

11 years; 4 children; brown, red & blonde; super short to mid-length; the pain of growing it out; the joy of thinking maybe I don't hate my hair after all.

Tami: 2 years is too long to wait, and today I tried out someone new.

The hotel has an attached spa - not super fancy, but it has a pleasant atmosphere and lots of smiley assistants all eager to upgrade me from trailing spouse to trophy wife. After a successful back-to-school cut for Toby I decided to give it a go myself. It has been a while since my mop was cut - the lovely Tami recently welcomed her second baby girl, and so unlike Tami, my haircut was overdue.

A promising start: lemon tea, magazines, calm music. Phase 2, great hairwash. I especially like that they have a separate assistant to clean the sink out after you're done. The arrival of the cutter, Dolma. Her English is pretty good, so we had a chat about my hair. I'm always up for trying something new as it grows back, and, many of you may have noticed, it actually doesn't matter how it gets cut because within about 8 weeks all the kinks have worked their magic and I look exactly like I did before the cut. Also, now I have been without glasses for a couple of months I figured it was a good time to experiment.

So - I gave her the guidelines:
Husband likes it off my face, and he likes to see my neck
Not too short, as even though I like it at the time, I always change my mind and the pain of growing it out makes me vow never to do it again. I stood strong today.
Watch the crazy double widow's peak in front - it can destroy any style you think looks good.
I don't spend hours blowdrying

After that I said she could do whatever she thought would look good.
I liked what she described to me - not hugely different from how it has been for a while, and while I'm open for new, safe seems to be a good option too - for a first time out.

So... the result? Well, probably no pictures for now.

There seems to be a worldwide hairdresser conspiracy that results in variations of the bob being the only cut people are willing to give me (Tami, you are the exception to the rule, and I love you for it).

I don't look good in a sleek bob, even one with a layered back. Remember the crazy widow peak? Yeah, NOT bob material. Those minutes you spent with a paddle brush and blowdryer? Never going to be in my life. I could find the time, but I do not have the skill. Also, I love my mother - she's a beautiful woman - but I don't really want her [circa 1988] looking back at me from the mirror.

I do love the feel of all my silky hair, and I will appreciate that for the rest of the day, it will be gone tomorrow. The back looks nice, too. We'll see how it all shakes out in a couple of days. I think the thing is, that it doesn't complement my personality. I can be a little uptight, and so maybe the sleek thing over-emphasises that in my mind. I like to think you can look put together and still let a bit of the off-beat and disorganised parts of your character shine through.

So, a B- for haircut. I'll also be grading manicures, pedicures, massages, facials and assorted other delights as the weeks go on.

2 comments:

  1. The 4 children is 2 for me and 2 for Tami.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you clarified that. Was beginning to wonder what happened to your other two children and why I didn't know about it!

    ReplyDelete